Monday, December 19, 2011

Scheduled task may execute indefinitely when using certificates on Windows

I'm an administrator of an FTP server (on Windows Server 2008R2) which has a well-known FTP client on it. We use SSH and SSL, depending on our partners. Most of the time we use scheduled tasks to trigger FTP scripts. I've been noticing within the Windows Task Scheduler that tasks aren't completing, and are always in a 'running' state.

Typically I use my account to log in and make changes. However, I use a different local adminstrator account to execute the scheduled tasks. I have found out that this is bad practice.

In my case, when using SSL, SSH, (and I *think* PGP), the keys are saved somewhere within the C:\Users\{username}\AppData folder. I believe this is a common practice throughout the industry - not sure if this is a Microsoft policy.

So when you log in using a different username to set up the environment and use a different username to execute the task, your results aren't as anticipated. This is likely due to the fact that the keys you saved/accepted are NOT in the proper user folder.

I logged into the server using the same credentials as the scheduled task, accepted the certs, and all has been working well since.

No comments: