Monday, April 4, 2011

Epsilon Notifies Clients of Unauthorized Entry into Email System

I received TWO emails yesterday about a data breach. One was from my bank, the other from a well-known technology group. Both messages comment that their vendor, Epsilon, had a security breach.

Apparently "the information that was obtained was limited to email addresses and/or customer names only"...

To me, that's very important information. Who knows, even hackers might try to send an email to someone trying to spoof my email address.

Not that I don't trust my bank with security, but I don't.

I will now probably have to spend a large amount of time sifting through spam, or even more extreme - get a new email address. I've been suggesting this to many for some time: one email for personal, and a different one for the rest of the companies -like my bank- that don't take my personal data with much regard.

Curious if a lawsuit will occur...

1 comment:

Bill Richardson said...

I got several as well - the bigger issue here is that apparently, quite a few big companies use them. So, whomever hacked in and got the emails, probably also got information as to who USES those emails... so for example, they now know who I bank with, who I have online accounts with, etc.

You can bet if there IS a lawsuit, I'll sign up.